Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I Chopped It!

I had been contemplating going natural for a while now and I haven't had much encouragement.  So many tried to talk me out of it including my stylist.. "Oh your hair is so thick, how are you going to comb it when it is natural?" "you said it yourself that they called you stubborn hair" "oh you have healthy hair already so why are you going natural?" "you will regret it?" "It is a lot of work?" 
So I transitioned to get comfortable with the idea and to prepare myself for my future look.  I have always had long hair as a child but I was told that my hair was very annoying and stubborn so my mom chopped it all off (i.e. in my young adult days).  I rocked the punk style back then and loved it (sorry no pictures).  When I moved to the US ummm... yeah those mean high school kids picked on me so mama thought it was time to grow my hair (that was senior year of high school). By prom mom gave me my very first perm ever.  Since then I always showed my hair some TLC and got lucky enough to be blessed with thick hair.
  
My hair sophmore year in college- 2yrs of growth
 Then  one day decided I wanted a new look and chopped it to a bob.
Pic of bob already grown out
 And then it grew out even longer but became very difficult to manage and time was not my friend in residency so I always kept it shoulder length. 
Hubby & I at OCS graduation
I had brought up the idea of chopping my hair to hubby and he didn't like the idea of a change but the more I talked about it, the more he became sort of open to it.  So I decided to stop perming my hair this time last year.  Transitioning was very boring for me but I was motivated to keep going for fear of the horror in hubby's eyes if it came out very short.  But it started to get annoying dealing with the two textures and so I decided that it was time to do something about it.
this is my hair-u can't see the two textures because of my hair color

At the Salon Right Before

Baby Girl and I after the chop

I Love it!

 Hubby is away and will return in a few days to see it.  I did not warn him before I did it for fear that he might tell me not to.  But I told him immediately after wards lol via email and he was shocked that I actually did it and is worried about how short it looks and if I look like a dude.  I love it and I'm enjoying every bit of it. Also I don't plan to perm Mmeso's hair and if she ever asks me I plan on telling her that God took all the time in the world to create her so perfectly for her mama and papa.  I hope that she will not care to ask since mummy's hair will look just like hers.

14 comments:

Highly Favored said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Highly Favored said...

Very nice. I chopped about 4 or so years ago and while I like it I'm considering perming again as I'm getting bored. I Can always go back to natural when I'm ready.

Okeoghene said...

i love the 'fro and i think your husband wont mind too much as you have a lot of hair.

Nenyenwa said...

@ Highly Favored thanks! If you haven't checked out you tube videos for fun styles, you should if the only reason you are going back is that you are bored.
@ Okeoghene thanks- I hope so lol

Chichi said...

Like it! Suits you well. I did the big chop 7 years ago, it is very liberating.

Natural Nigerian said...

Hey! Welcome to the club. Your hair looks really nice.

Nenyenwa said...

@ChiChi well said soooooo liberating
@ Natural Nigerian thanks :)

Adellemaria said...

Wow really nice. you just might have inspired me to go natural. Baby gal has grown : )

Nenyenwa said...

@Adellemaria thanks x2

Abby the Tiny Traveler said...

Looking good mama!

Beulah! said...

Ur hair is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, what are u talking about?, it suits you perfectly. All u people are tempting someone with this natural hair of a thing sef...Msschewww..lol.

First time here & great blog

Nenyenwa said...

awww thanks Amy and Beulah

oluyemisi said...

I love it, it looks really amazing!

Nenyenwa said...

thank u Oluyemisi